Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Namesake

Disclaimer: Before I start this article, I in no way intend to be racist in this article. If you find any content offensive I profusely apologize for its existence. But it's staying there. (and your way out is the X on the top right of your screen) There's also a comment section down below the article, where you can chirp my race as much as you like.

This post is about names. How did you get your name? What does it mean? My name is an Irish name that stands for nobleman.  Sounds interesting enough. So one day my father and I had an argument. We couldn'td agree as to whether or not a name was infact... real. Now anyone who watched Survivor will remember Naonka. Pretty sure she burned socks or something. But anyways... My dad goes on this tangeant as to how African people invent names. I was adamant at first. African names mean something in African. (Naonka = dumb cow?)

Well, Naonka doesn't mean anything. A Google search will turn up nothing but the Survivor website and blogs that go on about how much they hate her. Theories about why she was even cast on the show. I myself, called Mark Burnet: "Jerry". Point is, I started doing a bit more research. Turns out there have been court trials about things like this.

But imagine, you just had a child. Now, what are you gonna name them. Put that baby names book away, you're doing this from scratch. Now what the hell are you gonna tell the child when he asks why his name is "Sohcahtoa"? I can see it now: "Child, your head was in the shape of a triangle..." But nothing, absolutely nothing, compares to this one.

The Jackson family (no relation, don't even ask) was trying to defend the name they invented for their daughter. Hell I would too. If I named my child Takeesha or Jenivory or something. But please, concede defeat Jackson family. Your daughter Clitora will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment